Monday 7 November 2011

2.0/3.0 - Maya workflow for UDK



Above is a model that I built in MAYA (using a modular fashion) referenced from a photo of Mc Manus Galleries. The building here does have features of Gothic design from the tower in the centre of the roof to the windows. There will be a Gothic styled building in the final scene so this is essentially a test run from looking at photos for guidance. This was to get myself up to speed in the likely modelling approach that I will take when designing assets. Even though the finished artifact won't be a playable, aiming to be an environmental artist for games, building to the grid is key and also in a modular fashion to ensure the engine is working at the best optimum level.

I used Booleans for the windows but as a result the topology is horrible and I think I will use separate models to create the window rather than using this technique. Also will need to remember to snap pivot point to the vertex of each model in order for things to snap up properly.

In Maya I have baked an ambient occlusion on the vectors of the objects to test how the light will bounce off the objects in a lighting situation. Below is the photo used as reference, I didn't follow every key feature as this was a 3d sketch essentially. The next thing I want to do is keep testing the normal map issue that I'm having when exporting Zbrush models back into Maya and then finally into UDK.

No comments:

Post a Comment