Tuesday 20 March 2012

Brainstorm


Since looking at a lot of examples of snow its made me want to explore rocky landscapes and see if I can start putting together final concept pieces.



I am thinking how the player is going to navigate through the scene and how this will impact on the response of the player.


What always makes a dramatic scene is a direct light shining through a dark area. With this idea in mind I thought of wanting to have something in the cave maybe an alien space ship.


Looking back at German Expressionism I thought about using abstract shape cliffs to dominate the landscape, they were interesting but It didn't feel right to explore further. Using Contrast of curves and angular edges to make interesting composition



Creating jagged cliffs that emulate that of a huge monster, I think this makes the sense become alive. 




In the images above I was thinking about the use of Silhoutte to create a sense of depth but it just wasnt't coming together.


Since doing primarily line drawing I found that good ideas to me just weren't working. So I began sketching in terms of light and dark to get a better idea for developing environments. Once I started this process it was made apparent to me that rather than just rely on colour to evoke fear surely light and dark can do the same?



I was thinking of a cliff side that resembled a monster but it ended up ruining the environment taking the focus off of it. I especially like the image (3 row down 3 row across) We get feeling of a dangerous cave with its dark silohuettes and shadows taking up the cieling. 



Again using light and dark I start to explore trees and how they could appear to look frightening but pleasing at the same time. Considering tilting the view for a more dramatic effect. 




I have this idea in my head that I want to create a scene with some kind of unknown object in it. Using dark shadows I try to blend the unknown into the environment but it seems too obvious that its there. 


Using the direct light again I try to create a sharp shadow that contrast with the light but it doesn't feel unsafe  its the opposite. 

No comments:

Post a Comment