Saturday 11 February 2012

Techniques of Artists being used

After my Pitch on the 9th with the work that I have shown it seems apparent that my artistic abilities seem to be better used in digital painting rather than 3d environment creation. However I aim to explore different pipelines to creating my own artwork. I will be looking in Matte painting in particular, blocking in a basic scene in 3d and finally adding all the colour, light and texture detail via photoshop. Although the pipeline has changed the project itself has remained same, for the most part. I am still looking into colour and light theories and practical techniques.

Aim - I want create 3-4 concept pieces that express tension within different settings. I'm more specifically looking at the horror genre of games. I want to imagine I have been given the task to develop some interior spaces and how light and colour and convery an un-settling atmosphere

Creating a 3d environment is really time consuming and doesn't always produce the desired results. Whereas a painting, if structured properly, can easily be changed on the fly. Especially the fact that colour and light stem from traditional painting, it makes sense to be painting myself to help make sense of what I have learned.

http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/news/2011/08/interview-with-cecil-kim/ This is an interview by concept artist Cecil Kim who worked at Sony Santa Monica Studios for 11 years and has now founded his own company Section Studios.

The Following training DVD's will be looked to help get a better understanding of digital painting techniques:

The Techniques of Dylan Cole Vol.3

Matte Painting for Production with Jared Simeth

Contemporary Set Design- Conceptual Environments with James Clyne

Speed painting to Matte painting with Sebastien Larroude

No comments:

Post a Comment